Do you remember the first time you stepped into a theatre? You walked down the aisle to your seat, the lights went out, the music started, the curtain went up, and the magic of the performing arts began your THEATRE EXPERIENCE! Your contribution to The Players Cultural Endowment Fund will ensure that the next generation will have the same experience. Help us change the future for The Players Theatre by providing financial stability for continued growth of programs and productions for the entire community to enjoy.
The Players Theatre has received the designation as a CULTURAL SPONSORING ORGANIZATION by the Florida Department of State. Such a designation provides the opportunity for the theatre to be eligible to qualify for and potentially receive a State Matching Share in the amount of $240,000 from the Cultural Endowment Program administered by the Department of State. The theatre must raise $360,000 in local match to qualify. We need your help to take ACTION!
Who we are…
For over eight decades, The Players has built on the inspiration and aspirations of the incredible talent in the area. Those aspirations might have otherwise gone unfulfilled.
The Players is dedicated to presenting a diverse and entertaining slate of high quality, volunteer driven, theatrical experiences that educate, stimulate, and enrich the entire community.
The Players Theatre, a 501(c)3 non-profit, is Sarasota’s first and oldest performing arts organization, and the second oldest in the State of Florida. The theatre opened in 1930, in the midst of the Great Depression, with a series of one-act plays. Two hundred and eighty-one member-patrons each paid a two-dollar subscription fee for the series. Today, our 488 seat theatre has become ingrained in the fabric of the cultural arts community in Sarasota.
What we do…
- Serve a diverse audience of 75,000+ annually
- Offer a Broadway Theatre Series, a SNAP (Something New at Players) Series, a Summer Sizzler Series, a New Play Festival, Concerts, and a Backstage Theatre Series
- Provide vital training for 300+ students ages 3 and up through The Players Performing Arts Studio
- Offer 29 performing arts classes weekly, an 8-week summer camp program, two community outreach groups, The Players Kids and a fifty-five and over performing troupe, The Sarasota Silver Stars
- Work side-by-side with 700+ volunteer actors, crew members, and ushers
- Maintain affordable ticket prices, from $12 to $30
- Provide 3,500 free tickets annually to underserved community members through The Players Charity Preview Performance Program
- Provide scholarships to 50+ sutdents annually through The Players Building Better Grown-ups Scholarship Program
- Annual Budget of $1.2 million
- 79% Earned Income
- 11 full time; 6 part time employees
- 70+ contracted employees
- $379,473 salaries and benefits
- 274 performances annually
- 16 Corporate and Community collaborations