The Players Centre is proud to announce the acceptance of new plays for its 21st annual Players New Play Festival through April 30, 2022. A committee of judges will select four plays to be presented in a “Reader’s Theater” style format during the week of July 5th-9th. One of the winning plays will be selected as “Best of Series” and MAY be work-shopped and produced depending on the availability of space in the summer season of 2023. Amanda Schlachter, Sandra Musicante, and Lee Gundersheimer are the co-coordinators of the event.
- Entrant must be a resident of the Gulf Coast area (defined for this contest as extending from Tampa/Clearwater to Fort Myers) and over the age of 18.
- Full-length plays are preferred but one-acts will be considered.
- Maximum number of performers needed to produce the play is 8. Playwrights are asked to delineate if there are multiple roles that can be doubled.
- Manuscripts must be submitted digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org in 12 point font with playwrights’ biographies included in a single PDF.
- No evaluations will be rendered with any entries not selected.
- Author (and collaborator, if any) may submit only one script per year.
- Play must not have had a prior production, although those work-shopped before non-paying audiences are acceptable.
- Published plays are not eligible.
- Entries that have been previously submitted to The Players ARE eligible, but only if the work has been substantially re-written.
- Musicals are not accepted.
- Please also submit one hard copy bound in size twelve font to: “The Players New Play Festival”, The Players Centre, 1400 Blvd. of the Arts, Suite 200, Sarasota, FL 34234. The Players Centre is not responsible for lost or misplaced plays and hard copy scripts will not be returned.
- Deadline is April 30, 2022. No submissions will be accepted past that date.
At least 4 entries will be presented in rehearsed readings at The Players Centre from July 5-9 at the Players Studio on Blvd. of the Arts. The four finalists will be announced via The Players Centre website by June 1, 2022.
- Playwright must be available to attend rehearsals as well as attend the reading.
- Winning entries will have a director assigned and will organize at least two rehearsals.
- Playwrights are responsible for supplying updated and corrected copies of their script to their director and cast.
- Plays not following the guidelines listed above will be disqualified.