The Players Centre's mission is to entertain, educate and engage the community.
In order to continue our mission, The Players is moving from their 90-year home in Downtown Sarasota in order to serve a brand new community in need of the illumination the performing arts provide.
Why leave Downtown Sarasota?
The current facility is located in the heart of the cultural corridor along US 41 in the City of Sarasota. The area has seen tremendous growth, which has caused a shortage of parking for the theatre. While the audience demand at The Players is great, the facility is inadequate. The current building was constructed in the early ‘70s and is in need of significant updates. The cost to renovate and upgrade the facility would be in the millions.
How will The Players light up a new community?
- Provide three new performance spaces with year-round programming of both non-professional and professional performers.
- Attract, serve and entertain a projected number of 200,000+ local and regional visitors annually to the new campus.
- Provide vital training for 500+ students in performing arts.
- Provide scholarships to 50+ students annually through The Players Building Better Grownups Scholarship Program.
- Partner with local businesses to increase economic impact by attracting visitors to work, live and play in the area.
- Engage hundreds of local actors, instructors, designers, directors and creators as resources.
- Maintain affordable ticket prices for community inclusiveness.
- Provide 3,500 free tickets annually to underserved community members though The Players Charity Preview Performance Program.
How Can You Help?
Bring more community members CENTER STAGE!
Join the Center Stage Society by donating to The Players Capital Campaign!
In order to make the new Players Centre a premier performance and arts education facility in the Waterside Place at Lakewood Ranch, the goal is to raise $30,000,000. The generous lead gift of $1 million from the Muriel O’Neil Fund for the Performing Arts of the Community Foundation of Sarasota County and the expected proceeds of approximately $9,000,000 from the sale of the current Players property will kick off the campaign.
A Model For Success
“It will take the entire community to help us create this exciting new theatre centre. The payoff will be amazing as we build to enhance everyone’s theatrical experiences. From having dinner before the show, to seeing a drama in our “black box” theatre, to enjoying a Broadway Series musical or play, and even capping off your night with a cocktail and show in our Cabaret Lounge – The Players Centre will center around you!”